Saturday 7 June 2008

Sounds For Sunday


I'm not going to be around on Sunday, so we're early this week.

I'm suffering a stress of the digital age this week. I got hold of a large number of old soul tunes on Wednesday. If they had come in vinyl format they'd be worth a small fortune. I can't see people paying good money for the digital format though.

Anyway, after adding them to my iTunes I find I've a folder marked 'soul' that would take me nearly 8 days of constant listening to get through. How am I ever going to listen to it all properly? Even if I concentrated on the 'new' stuff that I've just gotten hold of I'm looking at 3 days worth of listening. Still I could do a serious weekender out of that!

Here's a sample of what I'm dealing with here. Check out the great intro and breakdown of the Bobby Wells tune. A lovely little groove. While we're on the subject of intros, is it me or does the intro to the First Choice tune sound a little like The Smiths?

My favourite of the lot is the Ruby Winters track though. What a song and lordy lordy lordy what a voice!

Enjoy the sunshine if you get it!

Bobby Wells - Lets Cop A Groove
Big Jim's Border Crossing - Love Built On A Strong Foundation
Eddie Giles & The Numbers - Sexy Lady
The Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl
First Choice - This Is The House Where Love Died
S.O.U.L. - This Time Around
Ruby Winters - Better
Robert Thomas - Salvation
The Montclaires - Hung Up On Your Love

7 comments:

dickvandyke said...

Thanks Simon.
Bevy of beats and beauts all round.

ally. said...

just that little lot should keep me dancing all weekend - ta ever so
x

davyh said...

Damn! But that Ruby's a cracker!

Simon said...

Isn't it just? I had it on repeat play on Saturday, I can't get enough. I love the way it builds...

Suzy Norman said...

Wise words from Ruby. Why don't they have nuggets of wisdom like that in modern songs?
'Time is gonna prove I was the best thing you ever had' by Candi is one of my fave lines.

Tall J said...

I saw an interview with Johnny Marr were he talked about the influence of soul music on The Smiths. He said that you can sing the tune of Young Gifted and Black to the music for Girlfriend In A Coma.

Simon said...

Yeah, people tend to forget how much Johnny Marr used to talk about soul and funk. He was a big fan of Chic for instance. And I remember reading somewhere how a lot of those guitar parts on the first records were him playing soul brass lines.