Sunday 30 November 2008

Sounds For Sunday

There's a scary version of Try A Little Tenderness on the TV as I'm sitting here, which is so shouty and forced and completely un-soulful that it's making me feel a little ill.

So here's some classic tunes that pretty much define soulful without even breaking a sweat. These are in their full length form too, so watch out: there's about half an hour's music in these three tracks!

Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up
William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You've Got
The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone

4 comments:

davyh said...

Oh you star you, you posted 'Got To Give It Up' - the only one of the 'big ones' I haven't got - and I bet you knew that, and I thank you dearly x

Simon said...

I actually started writing a thank you post to you, but then Russell Watson started murdering Tenderness.

So: Thanks Mr D. Great book. Great song as well, I always forget about it, but out of his whole catalogue, that was the one I wanted to hear when I finished the book.

davyh said...

Blimey, you certainly whistled through that! Remember, it must now go to another Marvin fan - and on and on...

dickvandyke said...

I saw that programme too - with the high piched Sheffield bird chatting to the thankfully de-tumoured Mr Watson. His performance was a bit Wheeltappers & Shunters. Still, the housewives love him.

Got me thinking, has Soulful and Salford appeared in the same sentence before?