Sunday 2 November 2008

Sounds For Sunday

This is something a little bit special today. "I Cried" by Tammi Montgomery was a single in 1963. Tammi was 18 years old and signed to James Brown's Try Me label. This song was her only release for the label. You can hear James Brown all over it, the backing track is pretty much note for note one of his more famous ballads. I'll leave you to work out which one.

It's a beautiful track though, with an amazing vocal, and the gorgeous flute parts just send shivers down my spine.

It's even more special for it's place in soul history. Because, two years later Tammi was signed to Motown and became the more well known Tammi Terrell. Tammi died at the tragically young age of 24 after leaving behind some great music, especially the ballads with Marvin Gaye. And this:

Tammi Montgomery - I Cried

Enjoy.

6 comments:

Clair said...

An unusually beautiful voice, I agree. Must be something in the air;I am currently re-enjoying Tammi and Marvin's duets - was there ever a smoother, more harmonious and more sincere vocal combination?

dickvandyke said...

Sunshine warmth amidst the heavy tears.

Thank you

davyh said...

Aye, lovely stuff Simon.

ally. said...

cor first that gorgeous vicki anderson tune now this - you're on one hell of a roll mister
x

Greer said...

I had no idea she'd recorded anything so young. Really lovely, thank you.

CTV said...

Yeah, thanks for adding to my education.