Saturday 31 May 2008

New Stuff....


I've a tune for you by Black Kids, new(ish) American alternative band of the moment. This is their last single I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You, which comes off their forthcoming album Partie Traumatic, with producer Bernard Butler. Fans of The Cure might find a lot to like about this. Vocally and melodically it's very Robert Smith, when he was going through his 'pop' phase in the mid 80s; it has the same sense of melancholy yearning from songs like Just Like Heaven and Caterpillar Girl, which is my absolutely favourite era of The Cure.

Also included today is a version of the same song by Kate Nash, who they've toured with, from a radio session. I'm unapologetic about my admiration for Ms Nash, and I think her version is pretty damn good.

Anyway listen and enjoy...

Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You
Kate Nash - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You

5 comments:

dickvandyke said...

Would ne'er wish to chip away at your undying love for Kate Nash old chap.

However comma ... I saw her last weekend supporting the Kaiser Chiefs at Elland Road, Leeds. The daytime big stadium crowd seemed singulary unimpressed with the young lass. Although her centre front organ with red curtains had a certain John Shuttleworth/Sooty charm.

The raucous ever-so-shouty Kate had no stage presence nor idea of the occasion. (Mind you, neither did dreadful 'compere' Chris Moyles or DJ linkman Mark Ronson). Her only real inter-song banter was, "Some bastard 'as lobbed some shit in my drink" and, "The only football song I know is, 'You're shit and you know you are'". Cue 37,000 who responded in kind.

Also on the bill were The Enemy - who were mighty fine.

adam said...

I think not being able to do stadium rock might be another feather in young kate's cap. I'm with you, Simon.

ally. said...

so this will be that new music then will it. i think it's time for my pills...

Simon said...

heh...

Clair said...

Oh go to their MySpace site and listen to the Twelve remix of Boyfriend. It's rocking my world at the moment!